2006 - 2015
For current news, results, etc please visit
MISINFORMATION? YES - SCORE ADJUSTMENT? NO!!
Hand played on:
Board number / section:
|East / West|
The Hands and the Bidding
♠K J 9 6 5 4
♦Q J 9 8 4 3
♥K 7 2
♦A T 6 5
♣A 9 7 5
♥A T 9 6 4 3
♣K Q J 8 3 2
♠A 8 7 2
♥Q J 8 5
♦K 7 2
- An odd choice of opening bid! Strictly, this hand does not meet the minimum requirements for a 1 of a suit opening - it should have 9+ HCPs. If you are going to stretch a point, why not open 1♠?
- Alerted and explained as 'hearts and spades'; clearly it was in fact 'hearts and clubs', as per the partnership agreement.
- No evidence of 'fielding' the misinformation
Description:North led a small spade against 4♥ doubled; Declarer lost one spade and two trumps and so made the contract.
Analysis:An adjusted score is awarded if:
- Misinformation was given; AND
- It can be shown that 'damage' was caused to the opponents as a result
North said that he wouldn't have led a spade in the absence of the misinformation; on any lead other than a spade, Declarer can 'ditch' Dummy's singleton spade on the ♦A, so Declarer would make an overtrick. I wouldn't advise pursuing that argument...In fact, I think questions could be asked about North's original opening bid, which doesn't meet the minimum strength in terms of high card points as defined in the Orange Book; if you are going to stretch a point and open it with one of a suit, why not bid the 6-card spade suit first?